NYC – Phoood!
Apologies for the lengthy time between posts, I’ve been a little busy filming for The Art of Flight 2 in Argentiere. Actually, that’s a massive lie but I have been flat out on the snowboard in France and it’s been top bloody notch I tell ya! Anyway, here’s an update:
New Yorker’s don’t do portion sizes very well… it’s one of my favourite attributes.
If you’re in New York make sure you sample the delights properly – here’s a couple of hot tips to get the best out of a NYC feed:
- Do a food tour with Cory at Food on Foot Tours – it was unreal. You get to eat at all of the hidden little treasures around NYC while getting a history lesson at the same time;
- Get a pastrami rubens sandwich or five, they are out of this world;
- Tip the dude making your food (like a dollar per sandwich/bagel/whatever) and he’ll look after you like you’re his best mate;
- Don’t eat at any place with a “B” on the front window. They hand out A’s like dole checks so if an establishment gets a B then it’s… look, just don’t do it;
- Don’t eat at the $1 per slice pizza joints, eat at the $2 per slice joints. It’s worth paying more and there’s a high likelihood of a “B” on the front window of the $1 joint… at best
- Cheese dogs have their cheese sprayed on… under pressure… with a gun… it’s nasty… but somewhat delicious in a dirty way.
- Don’t waste your time at any bagel joint if it isn’t Murray’s Bagels in Chelsea. Holy bagels, or is that holey. (Yep, that just happened)
- If you’re not famished, order one meal between two. Like I say, New York doesn’t do portions well.
- Eat dinner in the Meat Packer’s District at least once, we went to the Spice Market and it did not disappoint.
- Don’t go to the top of the Standard Hotel without dressing up. I went there in my best clobber and was met with “Errr are those sneakers?!” from a horrified Whitney Houston lookalike (I was not wearing jeans and sneakers by the way, that privilege is reserved for Jono Sanders). Apparently that’s a bit of a flash joint. They’ve probably got an A+ on their window that they put there themselves from the top of their ivory towers.
Anywho, that’s food stuff. Here’s some pics. Hope you’re having as much fun as we are.
Oh, sorry Mum but you’ve been overtaken as the maestro of apple pie. It was a close contest but there’s no doubt the best apple pie on the planet is at The Little Pie Company in Hell’s Kitchen. Might be time to lift your game a bit methinks…